Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sun and Seafood

It's hot season here right now in Zambia. The perfect time to pack you bags and head to the ocean for cooler weather or at least hot weather with water to cool off in. Here are some photos and such from my trip to Mozambique. It was an Andge and Audge trip - my closest PC neighbor who has just finished up her service. We flew from Lusaka to Johannesburg and then took an overnight bus (really nice - comfy, reclining seats, toilet on board) to Maputo and then the following day another this time cramped rosa bus to Tofo and beach time. Here are some photos from the trip...


We took a running taxi to the Fish Market in Maputo. This is our attempt to capture the scene. Running taxi is basically a little car/cart thing that is placed over a motorcycle. 

Exploring Maputo. Audra posing at the Fort the Portuguese used to defend the city. Fort walls quite short, but seemed to have done the trick.
Carved stone Portuguese signs in the fort

Wandering the streets of Maputo we discovered a museum, solely devoted to coins. And what coin museum would be complete without a coin man.  

Laurentina Dark - My favorite beer in Mozambique. Only African country I've visited that has a dark beer as one of their standard offerings. 

Fish Market enjoying a cold beverage waiting for our food.

Fish Market. You go into the fish market part chose what you want to eat, purchase it and then bring it to one of the many table areas where they prepare the food for you. Delicious and a great price for seafood! And yes I did eat them, took off their heads and legs and everything.

Maputo from the waterfront. Water in the city has become too polluted to swim in, but still a nice view.

Sitting on the beach in Tofo. Absolutely beautiful beach. 

We went to Barra, a resort area, to camp for a night. We sat on the beach and had the most delicious bun, cheese, pepperoni sandwich I have ever tasted. Finally arriving after some crowded minibus rides, walking in the dead heat of the day and then catching a couple other rides, it was perfect to sit on the beach watching the sun, water, and eat our delicious sandwiches.



Beach at Barra 

Old carved out wooden canoe, complete with some giant snails living inside the water filled boat 

Just couldn't get enough of the fish market. Visited it again with the couple of hours we had between the tofo bus and the bus back to joburg

Lobster!!! My first one ever. And I must say my favorite seafood dish I had in Mozambique.

That's a little snapshot into our trip. To get a true perspective I should have taken way more pictures on the beach as that's where we spent most of our time. We also went out on an ocean safari in Tofo hoping to see some whale sharks or a migrating humpback whale, but to no avail. But did find some dolphin and got to jump in with them and swim with them - well mostly over them but still awesome. And had my first  experience with some jelly fish. got stung a couple of time but discovered its mostly just uncomfortable wouldn't say painful so must say the ocean is growing on me. Delicious food comes out of it, good swimming, great beaches, and even getting used to the sand crabs. 

Returned now from Mozambique and back into hot season. Headed to the village right about now-ish after I finish some Camp GLOW (girls leading our world) paperwork that we're putting on in December. Life in the village is going well although I'm in and out a lot this term so less productive with my programs. On the bright side most of my programs seem to be sustainable as they are still operating while I'm out of the village. It's crazy to think I'm the oldest intake in Zambia now and have just 6 months left. 

On that note over and out :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment