Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Peace Corps 50th Anniversary Celebration!


Wednesday, October 13th 

Below find some thoughts I typed up around 3 am after getting home from celebrating the Peace Corps 50th anniversary celebration:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” - quote of the night

An estimated 300 people showed up tonight on the steps of the Union to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the day the idea of Peace Corps began; when JFK  gave a speech that inspired thousands to join the cause. The whole evening was inspiring. It illustrated a thought process towards service and towards being part of something bigger than yourself. At the student symposium component of the evening a conversation with a girl at my table struck me: “it’s the best time in our lives to be selfish (referring to becoming a Peace Corps volunteer) in the best kind of way”.  It got me thinking. I joined Peace Corps because I wanted to accomplish a particular set of goals, and I wanted to experience a particular capacity of life and culture different than I have at this point, and I wanted… I want to make a positive difference in someone’s lives and I want to accomplish this simple goal continually throughout my life. And because I want to accomplish these things I’m leaving for Zambia at the end of January. For the next 27 months my family and friends will be left behind in the states and I will miss being an active part of their lives. Thank you for all of those who have supported and continue to support me as I pursue my dream of serving in the Peace Corps. 
 JFK on the steps of the Union when he proposed the idea of Peace Corps 50 years ago.
 The crowd that gathered at the steps of the Union to celebrate the Peace Corps 50th Anniversary!! 
Pictures found on Michigan Daily website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment